Sunday, July 09, 2006

Capoeira! and something to talk about


Capoeira!
Originally uploaded by jeffinmoscow.

From my photo page:
"I went on my first real photoshoot last weekend. The Brazilian capoeira master Cobra Mansa was in Moscow, and my friend Casey asked me to come and photograph a session of the local group that practices this Angolan/Brazilian martial art. I am finally getting around to posting some of the results.

Moscow. June, 2006."

Here is something to talk about.

This has turned out to be my noisiest, most controversial photo so far. I posted it to the generally friendly Flickr group The World Through My Eyes and got flamed within minutes by some guy called marbar55. I guess he must have been in a bad mood or something.

As it turns out, I owe him some thanks: in reaction to his harsh words I got a lot of supportive comments from other members of the group and ended up having the photo blogged on the Admin Favourites photoblog. Good people. It surprises me a bit that so many of them went out of their way to be nice.

I finally got around to putting up the whole set of photos from this photoshoot today. Here's a link.
Uploading so many photos to my page at once made me feel strangely guilty. It seems standard practice to put up two or three a day, shop them out to groups, harvest the comments and favourites, respond, and start again. At least, this is what I had settled into. The problem is, it was turning me into a real comment junkie. Needy. Pathetic.

I guess I've got too much time on my hands these days! I've decided to use some of that time to fire my blog back up. Take it for a spin. See if it still handles okay.

If you've read all the way to the end of this post, then you've got a bit of time on your hands, too. In that case, you've got to check out this Russian video clip I found in Google videos today: http://www.bestofgooglevideo.com/video.php?video=353

Spiderman is real. And he's Russian.

1 comment:

Dad said...

I know what you mean about becoming a comment junkie....its pretty addictive is the ol' Flickr.

That video is cool, I saw a similar thing in a French movie where this bloke was running around climbing up stuff.

If you wanna see something crazy check out this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpm0m6bVfrM

Its a guy called Dan Osman doing a free climb up a wall called Lovers Leap in California. No ropes, no safety harness, nothing....pretty mad.

I did a bit of research after seeing this and found out he was killed in a base jumping incident not long after this video.